Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We interrupt...to bring you a sewing post



Hmm... don't know what happened to the rest of the trip. Not much computer time lately, but will get back to editing photos and posting the rest of it soon (Though I won't so brazenly post that it will get done this week.)

Coleen had her spring piano recital this past Saturday. She played a theme from Don Giovanni by Mozart and an arrangement of 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore' by Duke Ellington. We decided she needed a new dress to perform in. We chose a dress and jacket from Ottobre and got to work. Coleen made the dress and I made the jacket. Both fabrics are from my stash. She is getting good at figuring out the directions on her own and I only really helped her with the gathering of the skirt and the zipper.

As usual, I found these patterns well-drafted and they went together well. We took what shortcuts we could - the insides could definitely be prettier! All seams are serged on both the jacket and dress, but if I had more time, I think I would have done a Hong Kong finish on the jacket seams.

I am very happy that we were able to get both done in just under a week - it really makes a difference when there are two working on a project... as the saying goes - many hands make light work.



Her concert was a great success!

2 comments:

gwensews said...

A pianist and a seamstress! Your DD is lovely, and so is her outfit.

Doncblogs said...

The dress and jacket are beautiful as is the young lady wearing them. I am of course prejudice but honost. I am sure her recital went well after hearing her play in Albuquerque. We would love to have been there, mybe for her next recital?

Dad/Granpa